Thursday, April 17, 2014

A Bird Anonymous



Pretty little bird
I see you up high, perched, and unstill
Ruffling brown feathers, ruffling black tail
Perhaps you’re itching, I do not know
Looking up, guarded
Looking down at me, guarded still
Silhouetted against the sky blue
The sun shining on you
What you think of me, I do not know
But you chirp, not singing, but chirping
Maybe at a mate, maybe at your young
Maybe still, at your frustration
Truth is, I do not know
Standing tall, tail bobbing up and down
Breast puffed, neck stretched
And eyes bright, looking this way and that
Jumpy, excited, maybe worried
I want to, but I do not know
Finally, suddenly, flaps of wing on wing,
Quick and rhythmic, musical
And off you go, maybe bored
Maybe miffed I didn’t chirp back
Maybe I’m not good company, I do not know
I catch myself – a void now covers me
Alone, with a wistful sigh
And a smile embarrassed
Over a mind lost on a bird anonymous
Why, although I try, I do not know. 

Picture credit: Inhabitat.com

No comments:

Post a Comment